Controlling your InputsJul 14, 2022
In the same way the food we are putting into our body has a big impact on our physical health, the inputs going into our mind have a big impact on our outlook and mental health.
This is so important at the moment, when there is so much negativity circulating in the media and on social media.
As emotional eaters, we need to keep control over what we are allowing into our mind because if it is impacting our thoughts and emotions in a negative way, it is likely to affect our eating in a negative way. We can't afford for that to happen!
Here are some tips to control your inputs this week:
- Minimise time spent looking at news websites/news on TV. Set a limit of how many times you will look each day. I have a rule now where I only look at the NZ Herald once per day (which is more than enough!)
- Take control of your social media feeds: Block negative sites and negative people. Instead, look for positive groups to follow. I follow groups like “Power of Positivity” and pages with motivational quotes. It is so much nicer seeing these images pop into your news feed!
- Create an album on your phone of positive quotes/images. Look at this each morning before you look at social media.
- Have a good book to read when you have down time, instead of going online.
- Create a fun music playlist and get it cranking any time you need a quick ‘pick-me-up’.
- Do your best to avoid negative conversations with people, especially if you are feeling vulnerable. Sometimes it's just not worth it!
If there's one thing I know for sure - mindset is everything in weight loss. The more positive you are feeling in general, the more likely you are to be in a great head space to follow your food plan and get the results you desire.
Sign up for new weight loss tips every week
New recipes, meal ideas and motivation, delivered to your inbox.